Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sailor Tattoo


During my search for my next tattoo I found information about a very interesting exhibition. The Skin & Bones - Tattoos in the Life of the American Sailor was exhibited in the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia until February 2010. A bit late to blog about it you may say, but both the announcement as the review by the NY Times provided me with some nice background info about "how sailors became the carriers and creators of tattoo culture".

I learned that tattoo's where not only for decoration. The sailors inked their bodies as a way to permanently display their values and identifications, protect them against dangers at sea, pay homage to sailing traditions and the fraternity of seafarers, memorialize loved ones, and showcase mementos of significant experiences and exotic locales.

Not one great country can be named, from the polar regions in the north to New Zealand in the south, in which the aborigines do not tattoo themselves." Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, 1871

I am ready for my next tattoo. Keep you posted.

(1899 - a sailor getting tattooed aboard the U.S.S. Olympia)

No comments:

Post a Comment