Thursday, December 23, 2010

Custom Iron Ranger

Traction is the magic word in bad weather conditions. The Iron Ranger with its Nitrile Cork outsole is not famous for performing in icy weather. The outsole is flexible, oil resistant and performs very well in urban areas and wet conditions. It is not the first shoe we would recommend as suitable for hiking or icy conditions.

Unless of course you are customizing your boots. One of our customers insisted on using his Iron Ranger Amber Harness for the snowy weather. He went to our cobbler and he attached an extra piece for traction on the outsole. Not a very subtle sight, but it is functional. How do you like this? Would you customize your Red Wing Shoes?

4 comments:

  1. not my cup of tea. Unleast my RW are destroyed, i wouldn't add any sole to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of putting a Vibram outsole on my 877's. A bit experimental but I like the rugged look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a good idea to me, my ironrangers have just spent 3 weeks in the closet because of the icy pavements,most annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! I would recommend try and sand a part of the outsole before attaching an extra piece. Otherwise it will get a bit too thick if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete